GEORGE TOWN: The body of the 35-year-old Saudi woman who died in a parasailing accident in Batu Ferringhi was flown home after her family rejected a post-mortem.
A private jet arranged by the Saudi Arabian Government took Aldakhilallah Eman Mohamed’s body after the family claimed it at the Penang Hospital mortuary yesterday.
Saudi Embassy official Ayman Munshi said it was normal procedure for the Saudi Government to deploy such jets to bring back the bodies of its nationals.
State deputy CID chief Asst Comm Nasir Salleh said a member of the deceased’s family signed an agreement declining a post-mortem on the teacher’s body, adding that the case had been classified as sudden death.
Aldakhilallah’s brother, known only as Abdullah, refused to speak when approached by reporters.
Water sports operator Lim Kek Cheik, 60, who was also at the mortuary, said Aldakhilallah was a heavy-set woman and a larger parachute meant for two had to be used on her.
“It all went smoothly until it was time to descend. I think she had trouble landing as she failed to pull a rope to slant the parachute when instructed by my beachboys.
“Not much strength is needed to pull the rope, even a child can do it,” he said, adding that this was the first fatality in his 38 years as a water sports operator.
Aldakhilallah died on the way to the hospital on Wednesday after plunging about 10m into the sea.
Penang Local Government Committee chairman Chow Kon Yeow noted that there were no lifeguards in the area during the incident.
The state government has since suspended the operations of all 23 water sports firms in the state until further notice.